I remember the first time I made this cream. It was when I was attending the raw culinary program in Oklahoma then called 105 Degrees (now called Matthew Kenney Culinary). I spent one month there making unbelievably delicious raw dishes and this sauce showed up in many of the components in my recipe prep. This cashew cream literally changed my life!
I can’t tell you how often I use cashew cream. It’s a lot and you will find this as an ingredient in many of my recipes. Because of this, I thought it would be better to have this delicious cream in it’s own post. One that I will be linking to often.
This cream is really easy to make! I hope you will find many uses for it just like I have.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Soak cashews in water for a few hours so they will blend easily in your blender.
- Drain the cashews well after soaking.
- Add the soaked and drained cashews to your blender and depending on how thick you would like the cream pour in anywhere from 1/4 cup up to 1/2 cup water.
- Blend the cashews and water until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and salt and blend just to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Pour the cashew cream into a bowl, cover and place in your fridge until ready to use. I find that the cream will thicken a bit more in the fridge.
This cashew cream can be added to soup, it can be turned into sour cream, vanilla cream or thinned to make a salad dressing. I hope you enjoy it and let me know what creations you make with it.