Smooth, simple and with a beautiful green colour this cream of asparagus soup is delicious but most of all easy to make.
With spring finally here asparagus season is fast approaching and I have been craving it. Even though spring time is upon us the weather has not been kind. Dark, cloudy and raining. Definitely making me in the mood for comfort food. Cream of asparagus seemed like a good choice.
The recipe is inspired by The Fannie Farmer’s Cookbook by Marion Cunningham. This book is packed full of great recipes and this is soup was easy to veganize.
Check out my recipe for cashew cream, which is one of the ingredients in this soup. It helps smooth out the soup as well as it provides a silky texture and balances out the flavour. Make the cashew cream the day before which makes the preparation for the soup super easy.
I hope you make this soup and enjoy as much as I did!
- 1 lb Asparagus, course ends snapped off
- 11/2 cups Vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Cashew cream
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Steam asparagus until tender. Approximately 10 minutes, reserving 1 cup of the steam water.
- Chop the asparagus reserving the tips.
- Add the vegetable broth, onion and reserved steam water in a soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and being very careful, add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. *An alternative is to use an immersion blender in the soup pot.
- Once blended, return the soup to the pot over a low heat and stir in the cashew cream.
- Add in the reserved asparagus tips, salt and pepper.
- Gently heat and serve.
Enjoyed this recipe? Let us know!