You know those times when you go to a restaurant and check out what pizzas they offer and see Margherita Pizza and know that you can’t order it because it has animal based cheese on it? It seems like forever that I’ve wanted to order this simple but exquisite pizza but couldn’t. Then I discovered Miyoko’s Kitchen and her amazing cookbook Artisan Vegan Cheese. Her recipe for traditional mozzarella cheese works perfectly and lifts the flavour of this vegan pizza to unbelievably amazing.
With just a few simple ingredients, this pizza comes together quickly. The crust is a coconut-based crust that is locally made here in the Okanagan. It bakes up beautifully and is the perfect base the ingredients.
Here’s my version of Margherita pizza with vegan mozzarella cheese!
- Pizza Crust, 8-9 inches
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 head Garlic, roasted
- 3 Tomato Sauce
- 1 Onion, sauteed
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms, sauteed
- 1-2 Basil, thinly chopped
- 4-6 Mozzarella balls, vegan
- Pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Evenly spread olive oil onto pizza crust. I roasted one head of garlic for 40 minutes at 400 degrees and then squeezed on the fragrant cloves and spread half onto the pizza crust.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the crust and top with the sauteed onions and mushrooms. Place the mozzarella balls on top of the pizza and then place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is browned.
- Once cooked sprinkle with basil and desired amount of salt.
- Let cool for a couple minutes and then cut the pizza and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this pizza as much as we did! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.