Trying to reduce your dairy intake? Looking for alternatives that actually taste good? Cheese is always tough but thankful we have many great vegan alternatives being introduced to the market all the time. But what about vegan parmesan?
I have seen vegan parmesan alternatives but they are super expensive and you get the tiniest little bit. Plus they may not have the best ingredients. My solution to this problem is making your own! It’s pretty easy to do and chances are you have most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
I learned a very similar version to this vegan parmesan recipe when I studied vegan cooking through Rouxbe, an online culinary school. In my recipe, I use cashews, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Honestly, you can use any combination or just stick with one. The key to this recipe is having nutritional yeast which provides the cheesy flavour.
Another advantage to making your own vegan parm is the nutritional power it has. Cashews, almonds, and sunflower seeds are not only full of healthy fats but also contain high amounts of calcium, iron, and magnesium. As for the nutritional yeast, we can thank it for providing the cheesy
Now that you know how easy it is to make and the whole food nutritional punch it provides it seems like an easy decision to head into your kitchen right now and give the recipe below a try. But if you don’t have all the nuts and seeds in my recipe try making a different version with the ingredients you do have. Whether that is using macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts as well as different seeds. Choosing your favourite nuts and seeds will provide the best-tasting version of vegan parmesan for you.
If you make this recipe or try your own version we would love to hear about it.
- 1/2 cup cashews, raw unsalted
- 1/4 cup almonds, raw unsalted
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw unsalted
- 3 heaping tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 heaping tsp onion granules
- 1 heaping tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add the cashews, almonds and sunflower seeds to your food processor and blend until it reaches a fine crumbly texture.
- Next add the onion granules, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend again until combined.
- Use as you would traditional parmesan.
- Keep refrigerated!